Guide To Setting Up An Email Address In Outlook 2007
This guide will demonstrate how to enter your new Pop3 email address into Microsoft Outlook. The email address in this demonstration may differ from your own host. In this case, please refer to your hosting providers recommended settings.
1) First of all you must have Microsoft Office Outlook installed, launch Outlook and go to the Tools menu up top and then find Accounts. In the accounts menu you should choose the option for New and this will show a pop up dialogue box like the one shown below.
2) Select 'Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP' from the list and click Next.
3) In this screen simply click 'Manually configure server settings or additional server types.' All fields will go grey and you can then proceed by clicking Next.
4) Select 'Internet Email' and then proceed by clicking Next.
5) Fill in your details as above using your own e-mail address & password plus replace my example domain with your own domain after the 'mail.' part. For example 'mail.yourdomain.co.uk'. Ensure that the drop down box is set to 'POP3'. Tick the 'Remember password' box. Then click More Settings. (Note: If you have clicked Test Account Settings at this stage, it will fail)
6) In the new window that opens up, there are 4 tabs across the top. 'General, Outgoing Server, Connection and Advanced.' The first is 'General' and where you can choose a new name for your account purely for your own reference as it will only show up when looking at your list of accounts. You can also enter your organisation and reply email however this is not essential. Click the 'Outgoing Server' tab to proceed to the next step.
7) In the Outgoing Server tab, tick the 'My outgoing Server (SMTP) requires Authentication.' Then ensure the button beside 'Use same settings as my incoming mail server' is ticked. Then click the 'Connection' tab.
8) Ensure that the 'Connection' tab is defaulted to 'Connect using my local area network (LAN)'. Then click 'Advanced'.
9) In the 'Advanced' tab, tick the 'This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)' box. For this particular email address these are the settings that work, your host may require different port numbers. Change the encrypted connection type to 'TLS' and amend the port numbers to the examples shown above. Now click 'OK'.
10) The tabbed window will close leaving you with the old window that says 'Add new e-mail account' on it at the very top. You can now click 'Test Account Settings' and the box shown above should pop up and run through with completed results on both parts.
You have now set up your email account in Outlook! I hope you found this guide helpful and if you have any issues then contact me and I'll see if I can add the solutions into this guide.
This blog is written by Paul Nimmo, a freelance website designer and photographer based in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire.
Click to find out more about my design & photography services.